Friday, February 24, 2012

Round up of semester 1 Part 1: Project goal & Direction

For the first semester of my masters degree I has so many ideas and wanted to go in many directions with my project. My main goal was to explore how an emotional reaction can be engaged by a player, through the use of environment art; also what other factors help sell a specific emotional impact.

Through research and practice I found that sound, composition, lighting, colour palette and narrative where the key factors that went into making an emotionally engaging experience. With these factors in mind I wanted to create an Environment that triggered a specific emotive feeling when played.

My tutor Josh pushed me in the direction of creating a creepy, tense environment. He explained how he used to work on Gallopers as a young lad and showed me how this would be a great focal point for my level. The idea of taking an object which is associated with fun and excitement and putting it in a dark, cold and lonely place was really appealing to me.

I aimed to create an environment that was an old warehouse, heavily cluttered with storage. The Galloper would be the main focus of the scene.

Here are some concepts I created:

This concept helped me define the architectural style I wanted to achieve in my environment. It providing me with a colour palette that I used when creating the building structures.

 I used this concept to display the mood I wanted to create in the environment. I was fascinated with the idea of the lighting and its relationship with the silhouette of the horses on the Galloper.

No comments:

Post a Comment