Saturday, February 25, 2012

Round up of semester 1 Part 2: Learning outcome & final product

Learning outcome

 The aim of this project was to understand the process of creating an environment that provoked an emotional feeling. The exercise also helped strengthen other skills in my arsenal.



 The modelling and texture work of the Galloper was a highly challenging and rewarding experience. The whole process helped improve my modelling ability and provided greater understanding of UV mapping. 



These renders were taken when the Galloper was first exported into UDK. The Specular power was on its basic setting so everything looks a bit glossy. This process helped improve my knowledge of UDK, the importing process and allowed better understanding of the material editor.



Final Product


Here is the Environment at the stage submitted for marking. I could call it finished at this point, but I know that this is a scene I will continue to refine in my spare time for my folio. Firstly here are the props and other meshes that went into the environment:

These are the Meshes that fleshed out the rest of the environment. The images are screen grabs taken from Maya. All meshes have a blue wire frame as well as a diffuse texture applied.


Here are the props in UDK with specular and normal maps applied to them.


Finally! The finished scene


All in all I found this project to be extremely helpful in strengthening both modelling and texturing skills. As far as my goal in creating an environment that provoked a specific emotional reaction, it is clear that the scene looks cold and creepy.

Through research it became apparent that other factors would help sell this theme. Sound and Music are vital in all forms of media to create a mood. This scene would benefit greatly from the addition fo music. Luckily I have just the guy for the job, NJ is a music student studying at Uclan and is going to create the sound for a walk through video I am creating.

Here is a link to a beautiful piece of music he has created: http://soundcloud.com/nj-apostol/new-world-order.

When the final Video is finished I shall post it on the blog. I have a feeling that the combination of my Environment and NJ's music will marry well and sell that creepy vibe I have been striving to achieve.

Semester 1: Conclusion


My aim was to create an environment that provoked a specific emotional reaction, through research and development this has been achieved. The project was successful in giving a greater understanding of elements that go into creating a specific mood. This exercise was focused on emotion through visuals, what has been created is beneficial but a possible dead end. I aim to explore different ways in which emotive feeling can be created from an art perspective. Role on Semester 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment