Wednesday, April 18, 2012

WPG: Cornwall & Animation Research



4th FEB

Ether's environments are based on coastal England, in particular Cornwall. my aim with the environments, even from this early stage was that the player believed that they were somewhere in the UK. This will mean that all aspects of the level will need to have that British feel, from architecture to the type of plant that grows on the coast. This is why I have tones of images ranging from coastal to main land Cornwall to help expand my knowledge. Here are Examples of some arranged onto mood boards.




5th FEB

Animation Research


After watching Lost and Found I discovered many more animations, I would like to share with you a few that stood out.


I lived on the moon

I lived on the moon is an animation created by Yannick Puig in 2007, the animation was inspired by the song I lived on the Moon by Kwoon.

I lived on the moon, 2007, Directed by Yannick Puig.

I loved the visual style, it is full of personality and emotion. The Animation felt like a dream with such bazaar moments.

At one point a small boy is riding a giant Bulb with roots for legs and the bulb starts singing the Kwoon song. This is a brilliant animation with so many levels to it, I urge you to check it out.


Fallen Art


Fallen Art is an animated short film written and directed by Tomaz Baginski It features Romanian band Fanfare Ciocarlia's song "Asfalt Tango." The animation presents the story of a crazy artist making a animation of dead soldiers dancing using stop motion photography. The soldiers are given a medal and then pushed off a giant spring board to there death by Sergeant Al. My idea of the message this animation gives is the way in which the military use there troops and their attitude towards the value of a soldiers life.



 Fallen Art 2004, directed by Tomaz Baginski.

 I was attracted to the art style in this animation, in particular the way in which the character and environments have been textured.


The image above shows how the texture on the face shows line work which expresses the shape of the wrinkles. This illustrative approach to texturing combined with the obscure scale, body proportions and shapes in the animation gives its own quirky style.







No comments:

Post a Comment